Belturbet Railway Station was originally opened in 1885 was built and operated by the Great Northern Railway Company of Ireland. The station served as the connecting point for the Great Northern Railway broad gauge and the Cavan and Leitrim Railway narrow gauge railway lines. It closed in 1959.
It was in 1998 that the Belturbet Community Development Association purchased the entire site and was refurbished to the original state with great attention to detail gained by reference to original plans drawn on silk. The main station building now contains a museum hosting a collection of railway memorabilia and audio-visual footage. The railway houses a wonderful train for children and adults to check out during their visit. A wonderful way to pass a few hours on a Sunday with the family as Belturbet has lovely facilities to enjoy afterwards with riverside walks, feeding the ducks and enjoying the playground. Tours are available.
The length of the tours are 1 – 1.5 hours and booking is essential.
Telephone: 086 069 9749